Thursday, March 19, 2009

Uh Der, Who're You?!

Sometimes I want to kick myself. I'm trying very hard to like myself for who I am, and I'm also trying very hard to improve the things I don't like about myself.

Then I have days like last Sunday.


In some ways, I can be fairly shy. Once I know you and who you are, there's not much holding back. But before I know you, especially in very public situations, I don't put myself out there. Being welcoming and getting to know new people is one of the goals in improving myself.

With this goal in mind, last Sunday I saw a new girl sitting in the Young Women's room. I usually feel nervous about introducing myself to visitors (even if they are only sixteen. I'm a horrible YW Pres. I know...), so I tell my Laurel President to go welcome her. But no, I'm improving! I think to myself, It's not that hard, go over there and ask her who she is!

So I do!

She says, "I'm so and so."

"Oh! Are you visiting?!"

"Um, no. I'm one of your assistant camp directors."

Turn around and walk away like a jerk and an idiot.

I honestly felt completely mortified. In my defense, I wasn't there the Sunday the assistant camp directors were set apart. And she looks like a flippin teenager too. So I feel bad all week, thinking oh my gosh what do I say to her now?! She probably hates me! No, no, go back to her and apologize.

So I do!

"So and so, I'm so sorry! Sometimes I'm such a ditz and I totally wasn't thinking! Hopefully I can erase that first impression and you won't think badly of me!"

"Um, actually that wasn't the first time we've met."

Blank stare.

Turn around and walk away like a jerk and an idiot.

Seriously people, I don't even know what to do anymore. Work with me here lady! At this point, I'm done trying to make up for being dumb. I've tried, and I've failed. Oh well, ball's in her court.
(Of course I'll still be pleasant and nice, I'm just not going to go out of my way to apologize again, or be extra doting on her or whatever. It is what it is.)

So what do you do when you completely shove your foot in your mouth?

8 comments:

  1. I think you've apologized already, and I would just fake it. Pretend that you aren't mortified, and maybe make an extra effort the next time you see her to call her by name, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, I have to agree. I am sooo like this but I usually will stop and ask how her week was, if anything fun happened. Then be on yer way. Don't give in.. may the force be with you, Melonhead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is so funny! It reminds me, just barely, of a situation I had once. There was this guy who was always in the hallway at church with his baby. He always asked how I was (and hubby, and our son). And he knew our names! But, for the life of me, I did not know his name. And I didn't recall having ever met him, or known his name. Even once I DID learn his name, I still didn't remember him! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, laughing. . . This reminds me of the time that I was introduced in RS as being new three weeks in a row . . . by the same woman!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found you on MMB today. You absolutely have done everything that you need to. Just act like you know her and treat her like everybody else. She probably wont even remember it after a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That second part made me laugh righ out loud. Loved it!!! Dang, how funny. Just tell her "sorry, I KNOW lots of people and you just didn't stand out at all" (tee,hee).
    and by the way ---you know me, you've commented on my blog--------remember, Wendy, remember????

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOOHHHH WENDY, I think, I'm not quite sure, Oh yeah, WENDY! I remember you now! (I think...) :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leave the room for a moment then come back and explain that your evil twin is going around insulting people just to embarrass you.
    Or
    Explain to her that you seemed to have mixed up your contact lenses with your husband's and you really can't see very well.
    Or
    Burst into tears and say "AM I REALLY SUPPOSED TO REMEMBER EVERYBODY I MEET???"
    Or
    Mutter something about forgetting to take your medication that day then move your nostrils at her.

    ReplyDelete

I'm mysteriously judging whether or not you're going to comment or not...you know you want to.